The Midnight Watch

Holding on 'til the next shift.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

S'a hammerin'.

#1 2013-07-10 01:47:38

Delfer

Professions! Ideas. Death!

Well I have plans to kill both of my characters off within a month or so, so I will soon be needing some new ones.
While I begin to brainstorm for them, I am looking for some ideas as to what they do for work. I want to avoid creating a simple tailor/smith/tinker or jack of all trades type and come up with something interesting. Baker for example, is not something you'd normally play in UO but it works in our shard because it can be RP'd. Essentially I'm looking for trades that I can role play that are outside of the box and outside the normal UO skill tree.

The more ideas the better and if you have a particularly fantastic idea you can decide how brutally the character will die!

#2 2013-07-10 02:21:43

Brianna Keres

Re: Professions! Ideas. Death!

Maybe a Farmer, or herder. Shambling around with a flock of sheep.

#3 2013-07-10 09:45:54

Haap

Shoesalesman! Dentist....or a schizophrenic...

#4 2013-07-10 18:47:20

Tom

Has anyone ever played a barber in UO? We could give one a box of hair restyling coupons that are given to clients to act out having their hair cut.

I think they also doubled as doctors back in the day, strangely enough.... Those twirling poll things? The reason they're red and white was originally to symbolize bloody bandages.

Isaac also plans to open a small library/school if elected, and it could use a teacher.

Let's see, what else....

Well, some of my character have done a little drug dealing and organized gambling, but I haven't pursued it much in-game and it would be cool to see a character more focused on it. On the subject of crime, you could also make a loan shark?

#5 2013-07-10 22:05:10

Haap

Aye more crime, moonshining. Making brewing of moonshine illegal and .....risky but rewarding etc.

#6 2013-07-11 00:26:34

Delfer

Good ideas indeed.

I decided once I kill off my characters, the first new character will be a church member of some sort(Will be reasonably likeable). After learning the necessary information about such a role from Keres I'll probably get the church to play a bigger role in village life. Cleansing the undead scourge and collecting tithes, and what not. This is down the road some, but I will need some "assistant" churchies to back me up and do church things if I'm not around. So if you're interested in any of that let me know on PM or steam(Delfer, probably) and we may plan!

On a different note, I like the idea of being a criminal. Even if it's a mundane street urchin drug dealer. If/when I take that route I wouldn't mind having a partner in crime or an IC rival either. Mind you I've never played a criminal before, so a partner like this would be nice. So If anyone is interested in that as well, same offer.

My characters aside, I think barber would be a great idea for someone to use. Aside from cutting hair they could have a very social role, the barber shop being a great place for chatter and/or back room dealings.
   I also thought the idea of a teacher was in a realm of interesting on it's own. If only there was anything worth teaching or anyone to teach. That's perfectly within the realm of unique/interesting I had in mind though, so spot on idea.

#7 2013-07-11 01:00:33

Haap

I might be very interested in the church assisting....If I have free character slot.

#8 2013-07-11 01:13:40

Delfer

What's your steam name? I'll make sure to talk to you about it sometime soon.

#9 2013-07-11 02:57:48

Haap

sandra

#10 2013-07-11 04:42:50

Althalus Khalorson

Jake is already a "Treasure Hunter" wink so if you want a partner in crime im sure he might be up for some dodgy dealings big_smile

#11 2013-07-11 04:45:19

Althalus Khalorson

also I belive Boran has the keys to the shipwrites but if he is ever on when im around i plan to try and buy it off him and see if i can get the boat in the water. even if i only sail to a bay around the corner and rp meeting a ship at sea and then "smuggling" items ashore so there are some options to be considered there big_smile

#12 2013-07-11 06:02:10

Tom

"I also thought the idea of a teacher was in a realm of interesting on it's own. If only there was anything worth teaching or anyone to teach. That's perfectly within the realm of unique/interesting I had in mind though, so spot on idea."

Well, we've made it so you need 20 int to be able to read on this shard. We've also agreed that players can gain skill and stat bonuses through IC training. If there was a teacher on the shard, you could let the GM's know which characters you've been teaching, and we can raise their int accordingly the next time we both happen to be on. There could also be books on any skill in the game. Books on fencing, books on cooking, books on mining; anything. We hope to give the players more options like this to gain skill, so that it can be built through role-play instead of mundane chores.

Board footer